Do you have a legal matter that may need to be solved in court? Depending on the situation, you may need to go to small claims court or possibly civil court. There are significant differences in these two types of court, and it can be difficult to determine where your particular case should go. Consider this comparison before you contact a lawyer in Greensboro.

Small Claims vs. Civil Court: A Side By Side Comparison

  Small Claims Court Civil Court
Function Minor property damage, unpaid rent or personal loans, consumer complaints, unpaid wages, etc. Larger-scale property damage, divorce and child custody, child abuse, juvenile misconduct, landlord/tenant disputes, etc.
Monetary Claim Range Amounts up to $10,000 amounts higher than $10,000
Resolution Timeframe 3 months on average a year or more
Representation No lawyer, you must represent yourself A lawyer is not required but is recommended


When to Seek Legal Representation in a Civil Matter

If you have a legal matter of any kind and are unsure how to handle it, your first step should be to speak with a lawyer in Greensboro. A lawyer can evaluate your case and suggest the best way to handle it, whether it can be settled in small claims court or if you will need in-court representation in civil court.

If your case can be settled in small claims court, you can save yourself both time and money by avoiding a civil court case. In small claims court you must represent yourself, but your lawyer can still offer you advice on how to best present your case.

When you have a more serious legal matter, it is in your best interest to have a lawyer represent you in civil court. Whether it is a large amount of money in question, a custody issue, or something else that falls under the civil court jurisdiction, the outcome is significantly more important. A civil court case is more than just a minor dispute. Divorce and custody issues are critically important, as people’s lives and emotions are affected. Large amounts of money and property are at stake in some cases, which can be catastrophic to lose for some individuals. Strong, experienced legal representation in any civil court case can majorly affect the outcome.

Don Vaughan Will Be an Aggressive Advocate for You

Do you have a legal matter to pursue? Your first step should be to call Donald R. Vaughan and Associates. Don Vaughan has years of experience with civil court cases and advising clients on small claims disputes. Knowledge, experience, and a thorough understanding of the civil and small claims court system is crucial to good representation, and Don Vaughan and Associates has what it takes. Even if you think your case is headed for small claims court, you can still benefit from the legal advice of an experienced lawyer in Greensboro. Before you file any claim with the court system, TAP: 336-273-1415