Prayer for Judgement

You may have heard there’s a way to get out of a speeding ticket. It’s called a Prayer for Judgement Continued or a PJC for short. It means you are pleading guilty to the offense in order to avoid a fine and points against your driver’s license. Prayer for Judgement can be used for most minor traffic violations, but there are some strict stipulations that apply. Before seeking a PJC, consult with a Guilford County speeding ticket lawyer to determine your best course of action.

How Does a Prayer for Judgement Work?

If you’ve received a traffic citation for a violation such as speeding, running a red light, or some other minor offense, you can plead guilty and ask the judge for a Prayer for Judgement Continued. If granted, you avoid paying the fine and you will not receive any points against your driver’s license or insurance record. You do still have to pay the court costs, which are typically much less than most fines that accompany traffic tickets.

What are the Rules for Using a PJC?

To understand the stipulations for using a Prayer for Judgement, it is important to note that there are two different kinds of points you can receive due to a traffic violation. There are points that go against your driver’s license status with the DMV and there are insurance points. Insurance points are what cause your rate and cost of insurance to go up. Driver’s license points can eventually cause you to lose your license if you accumulate too many in a short period of time.

In the state of North Carolina, you are allowed two PJCs every 5 years per household toward driver’s license points and one PJC every three years for insurance points. The “per household” rule applies to everyone who is on the same insurance policy.

In What Cases are you Ineligible for PJC?

Certain situations disqualify you from using a PJC.

  • If your speeding ticket cites you as going 25 miles per hour or more over the speed limit
  • If you have a commercial driver’s license
  • If you were charged with a DUI/DWI

These cases are considered too severe to plead guilty and request a Prayer for Judgement.

Should I use a Prayer for Judgement Continued for my First Speeding Ticket?

For your first Guilford County speeding ticket, a PJC may not be your best option. In most cases, if you have a clean driving record and you were going no more than 10 miles per hour over the speed limit, you can avoid insurance points for your first offense anyway.

Consult a Guilford County Speeding Ticket Lawyer Before Attempting a Prayer for Judgement

Before you request a PJC it is best to speak with a lawyer who can advise you on your best options for handling your ticket. If your goal is to save money and avoid points against your driver’s license and insurance policy, an experienced Guilford County speeding ticket lawyer can help you make the right decision. If you’ve received a traffic ticket, call Donald R. Vaughan and Associates TAP: 336-273-1415