If you’ve been involved in a car accident, it’s always wise to seek medical treatment in case of any injuries. You should see a doctor immediately following the accident if you feel any pain and even if you don’t. Some injuries don’t show up right away due to the adrenaline that is released in your body from the excitement of the wreck. Any car wreck attorney in Greensboro, NC, would advise you to fully document your injuries and medical care following an accident in case you need to pursue legal action.
Why is it important to visit the doctor soon after a car accident?
- For your own health and safety.
- If you wait too long you may lose your opportunity to make any legal claims.
- Proper medical documentation is necessary to file a claim.
- Insurance companies will do their best to avoid paying any compensation for injuries resulting from a car wreck. Visiting the doctor protects your legal rights.
The most common injuries following a car wreck are:
- Soft Tissue Injuries. Soft tissue includes muscles, ligaments, and tendons. These injuries are not as obvious as broken bones and tend to show up 12 to 24 hours after the accident. Think about the soreness you feel in your muscles the day after a strenuous workout. When your muscles are strained in an accident, the pain you may feel the next day is very similar. The most common soft tissue injury is whiplash when your neck muscles and tendons are strained due to your head being thrown forward and backward in an accident. Because these injuries don’t have obvious proof like an x-ray, it is necessary to get thorough documentation from a doctor.
- Concussions. Whether you are hit in the head during the accident or it simply gets jarred violently, it’s possible that it could result in a concussion. A concussion is caused by your brain striking against your skull. Typical symptoms include headache, blurred vision, nausea, dizziness, difficulty concentrating and remembering new information, and abnormal sleep patterns. If you experience these or any other unusual symptoms, seek medical attention immediately. A concussion also requires adequate documentation by a doctor in order to be used in legal proceedings.
If you are Injured in an Accident, Seek Counsel from a Skilled Car Wreck Attorney in Greensboro, NC
Now that you know how important it is to seek medical attention after a car accident, the next most important step is to seek legal counsel. If you are injured you have legal rights to compensation for your medical bills as well as pain and suffering. Insurance companies will attempt to pay as little as possible and even try and convince you to sign away your legal rights. Do not sign a release form for any insurance company, yours or the other party’s, before speaking with a car wreck attorney in Greensboro, NC. Call Don Vaughan and Associates at (336)273-1415 for an opportunity to get the full compensation you deserve.